Over the years, gaming has evolved massively.
It started with consoles such as the Magnavox Odyssey and solitaire on Microsoft computers, then moved onto consoles such as the Dreamcast and Gameboys, but it has only been in the past twenty years that gaming has moved so rapidly, whether it be game designs or modes of playing.
Within the last ten years, PC gaming has become just as popular, or even more so, than console gaming. It has literally taken the world by storm, and an increasing percentage of households in the USA own a computer for gaming of some description.
Why has it become so popular?
There are so many reasons why PC-based gaming is so popular. Here are some of the reasons why:
- Adaptability: PC gamers can have it all. They can play any sort of game on their computers and use their preferred controls. This can be using the keyboard or PC-compatible controllers such as Xbox or PlayStation 4. Because of this, it is so easy for people to switch over. It is also heavily personalized, and unlike many consoles, PCs can be updated and modified to fit the user’s preferences.
- There is more control over setups: You can have multiple monitors, access the internet with ease, and play videos without needing to go through one million updates to get there. You also have a choice of portability. Gaming laptops are convenient and fun to use and can be bought at a lower price in one of the many gaming laptop deals, meaning they won’t bite into your pocket as much as a console might, and you can play while on the go.
- A larger community: There is a huge community of PC gamers out there. There are just as many console gamers, but you won’t often find an Xbox player and a PlayStation player play together without some competition over who’s console is best. PC gaming is also helped along with communication services such as Discord, which allow friend groups to bond and other communities to thrive. Stereotypically, the community is also far less toxic than that of the Xbox players and is often seen through friends playing together.
- They last longer than consoles: Consoles are good, but the only thing you can really update is the software. PCs can have their hardware updated and will typically last for many years. Consoles are generally only made to last a few years before becoming slow or giving up the ghost entirely.
To conclude, there are many reasons why PC gaming has had a sudden increase in interest from gaming hobbyists. They are upgradeable and customizable to meet the player’s needs, there is a vast number of games to play on them, and there is such ease when it comes to console players making the switch between consoles and computers.
They are also becoming the norm more and more, and brands such as PlayStation and Xbox, although still heavily prominent, are slowly being left behind.
- Ring Of Elysium: A Guide And Tips For Every Beginner - July 19, 2021
- Don’t Let ED Get in the Way of Living Your Best Life - July 15, 2021
- How to Confirm that Your Academic Research Is Legit? - July 15, 2021