Yes, It’s now possible to DualBoot Android OS on iPhone. Thanks to the work by Linux on the iPhone Project and taranfx, we are now seeing it running with minor glitches.
Download the Image from one of the choices: Download via torrent | Download via SourceForge
Important: Currently it works only with iPhone 2g (original iPhone) but it should soon become pretty easy to port forward to the iPhone 3G. Apparently, The 3GS would take more work.
Instructions – iDroid: Android on your iPhone 2g
Step 1. Jailbreak your iPhone.
Step 2. Unzip the files into a location, say desktop. and replace two files (android.img.gz and system.img) in the prebuilt directory using the files from this archive. However, if your installation fails, you should create these 2 files using the process outlined here. [Why? Due to licensing issues, certain files will have to be manually copied]
Step 3. Copy everything from “prebuilt” (i.e. ramdisk.img, system.img, ramdisk.img, userdata.img, cache.img, android.img.gz, and zImage) into “/private/var” on the iPhone using sftp client like Filezilla, or Winscp (windows).
Step 4. Installing OpeniBoot.
Note: This step requires you to have a running Linux. If you happen to be a Windows users, you can use Ubuntu Live CD and boot with it (or use it in Virtualbox). Also, make sure you have “libusb-1.0-0″ installed. If not, get it from Synaptics package manager. (libusb is installed by default on regular installations, not on LIVE CDs)
1. Put your iPhone into recovery Mode ( Turn the device completely off and disconnect it from cable/dock. Hold down the home button. While holding down the home button connect to a computer with a cable or dock. Keep holding down the home button until you see a connect-to-iTunes screen. You are now in recovery mode)
2. Navigate to the directory where you unzipped the tar.gz file and then to “utils” directory. i.e. “iDroid > utils”
3. Copy “loadibec“, “openiboot.img3″ and “oibc” to your home folder. (You can know your home directory using command “cd ~“) and “openiboot.img3” to “utils” directoy of the unzipped files
4. Open Terminal and run “sudo ./loadibec openiboot.img3“. Doing this will show up openiBoot menu on your iPhone.
5. Press the Lock button to select the openiboot console, then press the Home button.
6. Run ”sudo ./oibc“. Terminal should now show the same lines of text that’s displayed on your phone’s screen.
7. Type “install“. Once done, type “reboot” when you see message “Refreshed Image List” (look at the screenshot below)
8. The phone would boot back into openiboot. Select Console with Power button and then hold the Home button for more than two seconds to start booting Android.
Running iPhone OS Again
1. Reboot your iPhone and openiBoot menu would appear again.
2. Press the Lock (Power) button to highlight the Console option.
3. Press and hold the Home button for 2 to 3 seconds. This will boot Android.
Not really interested in installing Android on iPhone. But I do have an old HP iPAQ and it would be cool if Android can run on it.
I randomly browse blogs on the internet, and I discover your article to be very informational. I have already bookmark it on my browser, so that I can view your blog put up again later. Additionally, I am questioning whether your blog is open for link alternate, as I actually need to exchange links with you. I do not normally do that, but I hope that we are able to have a mutual hyperlink exchange. Let me know and have an ideal day!
I’m sort of confused, I don’t know if I should get a digital media player for my boy or just purchase an iphone 4.
Looking forward to reading more. Great article post.Much thanks again. Awesome.
I like my iPhone 3GS after I installed the New v 4 Upgrade on it. It seems a bit faster.
I enjoy my iPhone 3GS when I put the V. 4 software on. It seems a bit slicker.
Cool Site, thanks for the info!!
Book marked your websites. Appreciate sharing. Surely worth time away from my personal tests.
You may have not intended to do so, but I think you have managed to express the state of mind that a lot of people are in. The sense of wanting to help, but not knowing how or where, is something a lot of us are going through.
Hey Great Post! If anyone needs any roms, games, movies or TV shows you can join my forums, UltraROM.
I have enjoyed my Iphone since the first one came out. It truly is an amazing device and it reminds me of what people in the 50s thought the future would be like.
I have been looking looking around for this kind of info. Will you publish some more in future? I’ll be grateful if you will.
I found your website via search engine a few moments ago, and luckily, this is it I was looking for the last hours, thanks
Appreciate the recommendation! I’ll give it a try.
Sweet, that’s exactly what I was looking for! This might be it for my next gadget
When and where can i get the htc desire for tmobile here in the united states?
really i thought that
Cool stuff, thanks for sharing, pretty much on the ball.
If u want multitasking on ipad/iphone just jailbreak it.
Hi , there I have one question. Can we test our Android based Application into the “iPhone” Phone after running Android into the “iPhone” ? How it’ll act and will it support all functionality of Android.
Waiting eagerly for the response …………..
thank you for proving that android sucks and iphone os is magnificently programmed
I WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!