One of the great things about the internet is that you can access a lot of content free. This however, makes it difficult sometimes to distinguish between content that is legal and that which is illegal to access, more so when it comes to intellectual property. There has been a constant battle to protect intellectual property ever since it became possible for the masses to download and upload content.
Currently, with the availability of unprecedented amounts of data storage and internet download and upload speeds, it is possible to not only download content, but to actually stream it from anywhere in the world. This unfortunately means a lot of ease in sharing of movies and other content that can sometimes be illegal.
The authorities that be have cracked the whip and have warned those uploading and giving people access to content that they don’t have a right to distribute as well as those accessing the illegal content, that they are violating intellectual property rights and that they could be punished severely as well.
If you don’t want to be on the wrong side of the law, you therefore need to first be able to distinguish legal from illegal content and then shun illegal content or else you will face arrest and could face severe penalties and even jail time. Below are the tell-tale signs that the content or movies that you are streaming or downloading could be legal or illegal.
- Do a background check on the website you want to stream movies from
One of the ways that you could do a background check is to go to the ‘about us’ page of the website and look for signs that the content is legal or illegal. The following information will be helpful:
- Movie and content distributors usually get their content through two legal channels. They get permission from the film studio to distribute the movie or the movie has no copyright from organizations, individuals or governments and can therefore be freely watched or distributed legally. These are commonly called public domain movies. Look for signs of this.
- Public domain movies usually include old movies and classics or movies meant for free distribution.
- Sometimes, movie studios partner with websites to stream some of their movies online as well. In other words, the website affiliates with the website that is streaming the movies and therefore doesn’t shy away from advertising this on the streaming website.
- For example, Popcornflix, is affiliated to Screen Media Ventures, LLC which is a legal distributor of movie and TV shows. This information can be found clearly in the about us page of the Popcornflix website.
- You can easily find contact information
If a streaming website is legal, you will often find contact information easily because the website owners are not afraid of breaking any laws. An email should be easy to find, but a phone number and a physical address should make you even more confident that you are dealing with a legitimate streaming source.
If you log onto a website that is streaming all the movies you ever wanted to see and you get a feeling that the site is too good to be true, it most likely is. The difference is, right now you will be able to distinguish a legitimate streaming website and an illegitimate one. To find cable TV providers in your area simply make an internet search and visit the blog for more information.
Latest posts by Charlie Brown (see all)
- 5 Smart ways to promote your product through a Blog - September 29, 2016
- 6 Free Educational Apps for Your Kids - September 21, 2016
- Do You Know How Much Your Smart TV Box *Really* Costs? - August 22, 2016